As it was mentioned in the previous article it's interesting to know how the code quality has been improved. NDepend includes only queries for quality regressions, this article contains CQLinq queries for quality improvements.
Friday, December 27, 2013
Thursday, December 26, 2013
In the previous article I have described basic features of NDepend. This one is dedicated to Code Quality Regressions and Ensure Quality from Now. In a few words, you can set a project baseline and compare different analysis results, it can show how the code quality was changed during specified period of time.
Setting baseline for comparison
The settings are accessible from menu NDEPEND => NDepend Project => Edit Project Properties => Analysis tab. There are two baseline options: one for comaring in Visual Studio UI, another one for reporting. You can compare with previous analysis of the current project or with different NDepend Project you have performed analysis on. In the selected project you can also choose a specific analysis to compare with.
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
When we get a new existing project for analyzing, development or support, we often have a question: where to start from? There might be a lot of legacy code, assemblies, projects, solutions, etc. There's something that can help us to get a clue: NDepend - a tool for managing complex .NET code.
NDepend can be downloaded from the official site www.ndepend.com. The response email contains installation and licence activation details and other necessary info to start.
The installation package consists of:
- NDepend Console - console application to run NDepend commands.
- Visual Studio Plugin installator. NDepend 4.1 supports Visual Studio 2008, 2010 and 2012.
- NDepend Power Tools with the source code. This is a set of short programs based on NDepend API, demonstrating its syntax and capabilities.
- Visual NDepend. This is a standalone Windows application that allows NDepend analysis outside of Visual Studio.
- Links to build process resources. It contains information about how to integrate NDepend to countinuous integration systems and build systems. It can be integrated to CruiseControl.NET, FinalBuilder, TeamCity and Team Foundation Server. It supports NAnt and MSBuild tasks.